January 20, 2012

On doing the neighborly thing


Remember the days when people used to actually take the time to welcome a new family into the neighborhood. When your mom or grandmother would make a special home made treat and walk it across the street, introduce her family and say hello. The kind of nostalgic neighborly feeling that is reminiscent of a Norman Rockwell painting. Well, I actually have been lucky enough to move into that kind of neighborhood. When we were first getting settled in our new home, one by one our neighbors stopped by, introduced themselves and dropped off either a hot meal, dessert, fire wood, or let us know when we accidentally left our garage door open or had a leaky sprinkler. This comradery has not slowed down either. Over every holiday we continue to exchange cookies, hand made cards and visit each others homes to see the fun display of decorations. It isn't just a wives thing either. The husbands, kids and dogs are part of the gathering as the families come together, share stories and visit.

Well, my any day extraordinary moment came when I had the opportunity to reciprocate the hospitality once again to one of our dearest neighbors. When I learned the sweet grandmother next door had been rushed to the hospital due to heart complications, I decided one of the best things I could do for their family was to have a warm, home cooked meal and dessert prepared for when they returned home from the hospital. I knew that after facing hours on uncertainty, heartache and stress, this might be the perfect pick me up for when they got home, and I was happy to be able to return the kindess and generosity they had shown my family over the past year. Who can forget the free babysitting offers, the toddler hand me downs, the photography lessons and the keeping a watchful eye on our home when we travel.

In deciding what to make I went straight to Pinterest, my go-to cooking/baking site, and found two delicious recipes to prepare. Since they are a family of 8 and were most likely coming home from the hospital with empty stomachs, I decided to make a hearty white chicken enchilada dish with green chillies and a sour cream sauce. And to lift their spirits, I made a summery pink lemonade bundt cake. It felt really good to do the neighborly thing and help out in time of need and I am extremely grateful to my neighbors for collectively setting such a high standard of caring in our community. I am also thrilled to teach these basic principals to my daughter in hopes that she too will enjoy practicing random acts of kindess.

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. I love this! We did have two neighbors introduce themselves to us, then we took it upon ourselves to hold a housewarming and invite the two cul-de-sacs on either side of ours, our own, and the neighbors on the street connecting all three. Many of the neighbors said it was the first time they had met the others.

    ReplyDelete